[Openchrome-users] XvMC status

Thomas Hellström thomas
Wed Aug 9 08:52:33 PDT 2006

St?phane Konstantaropoulos wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I got a laptop with a VIA C7 and a PN800 in it, I was wondering what was the
>status of the XvMC for such a chip?

mpeg 1 and 2 should be working like a charm.

>(I am using the latest driver from kelkoo on Fedora Core 5)
>
>mpeg2 seems to work fine so far, I need to use XvNODMA however, otherwise the
>cursor area becomes funny and most fonts change colour.

Strange. Very strange. What acceleration architecture are you using?
EXA / XAA?

>What's the status of MPEG4?

Not available.

>What does XVMC_VLD bring that XVMC_MPEG2 doesn't?

XVMC_VLD is an acceleration level, like XVMC_MOCOMP or XVMC_IDCT.
XVMC_MPEG2 is a format, like XVMC_MPEG1, XVMC_MPEG4 etc...

>I'd be interested into hacking the driver to try and get MPEG4 and H263 to
>work. Is there any specifications / documentation for the chip internals
>somewhere?

Only VIA's VEXP together with libddmpeg.so which has to be reverse
engineered.

>Is there any XvMC implementation of XVMC_MPEG4 and / or XVMC_H263 around at
>all? (even for other cards, to get some inspiration).

Nope.

>Thanks

Thomas