[Openchrome-users] Anyone working on mpeg4, if so, I'd be happy to play 'tester'...

Chad masterclc
Fri Aug 18 01:41:03 PDT 2006

Hello!

I just got done reading oodles of various mailing list 'discussions'
as well as a bit here and there around Via's website.

I'm really wanting mpeg4 acceleration to work with the CN400 chipset
(SP13000 or Commell 667).  It would move my machine(s) from slightly
usable to actually replacing larger/louder/clunkier machines.  I
understand (from reading some threads on various mailing lists) that
it's bad-juju to mention paying someone to work on this, or offering
hardware, etc.  So, I'm not sure what needs to be done, but I'm able
and willing to be a tester.  I've got both an SP13000 and a Commell
667-T that I can test with, and I'm fluent in multiple distros from
FC, Ubuntu to Gentoo and Slackware, as well as most others.

I don't have much to offer in the way of coding, otherwise I'd offer
to step up to that plate.  I can tweak existing code to a very small
degree, I can generally figure out what causes something to not
compile correctly/completely, I can tweak configs, I can read docs...
I understand quite a bit of Linux in general.

I'd rather find a solution that can work with OpenChrome rather than
try to tweak the Via drivers to work with various systems.  If that
solution is to somehow integrate the mpeg4 functionality from the Via
drivers into an OpenChrome system, I'd be up for trying that as well;
but I'd need a push in the general direction to get started on butting
the 2 drivers up against each other.

Whatever it takes, I am really interested in getting the mpeg4
acceleration working.

Thanks!

(P.S.  I'd also really like to get 1080HD playback working in MythTV,
but that's a different list and another day)

-Chad