[Openchrome-users] Another try with xgamma (was: xgamma enabled)

Gonzalo A. de la Vega gadelavega
Wed Dec 13 14:30:22 PST 2006

On 12/12/06, Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 11:49:50AM -0300, Gonzalo A. de la Vega wrote:
> >
> > The comment is back... credits too. Sorry, I must have deleted it in a
> > commented code deleting frenzy.
> >
> > OK, now I have it tested on K8K800 and KM400 both 24 and 16bpp. The
> locking
> > is caused when writing the IGA2 lut, so that's not done for CLE266 and
> > KM400... SAMM is not working anyway right?
> > Unichrome driver also locks up if USE_SECONDARY is defined. Apparently
> VIA's
> > driver has not been tested on these two chips.
> >
> > -----------------------------------
> > Gonzalo A. de la Vega
>
> If you access the secondary LUT, without secondary enabled, you
> hardlock. Not sure why that is necessary, but that's the unichrome for
> you.

So that's why it locked up.

USE_SECONDARY was perfectly ok when i was using it, in fact, i'm
> currently writing this mail while using secondary. And i did some quite
> extensive testing on CLE266Ax (couldn't get the colour ordering over
> DVP0 right) and VT7205. Did you do a complete rebuild?

On a FC6 box, KM400 Asus motherboard, I got the code and went:

./autogen.sh
export CLFAGS=-DUSE_SECONDARY
configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

At gdm-restart I got a lock up. But with Fedora you never know...

My modesetting code included in openchrome doesn't do secondary, it's
> just not wired up, there's quite a lot involved for secondary to work
> decently. But with VBE you have no control over which you use. Panel
> usually sits on secondary, gets you scaling and dithering.

So we always have to change the active one (or both). BTW, when updating
the secondary lut, the primary seems to be also updated.

Why do you check for HasSecondary there? Is this variable updated after
> a mode has been set through VBE? Just check CR6A.7, that way you don't
> need to check for VT3122 or VT7205 either.

The real extent of my ignorance is starting to show...
CR6A.7 will give me if the secondary is actually enabled or not, so I won't
write if it's not really enabled, right?

I have no idea why you're using 7bits though, the unichrome only allows
> 6 or 8. If X really produces 7 bits spaced over 0x100 colors, you
> probably just end up writing each triplet twice.

Well... forget I ever said that... I'm not doing it anymore anyway.

Please do include the copyright statement when you copy, the actual
> license is of course the same.

No doubt. I apologize if I'm asking something obvious... or stupid but, is
there a formula
to include other's credit? I mean like when you make a citation on a paper.

Thaks Luc,

Gonzalo