[Openchrome-users] buffering, xine, openchrome questions

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh
Sun Feb 19 08:34:28 PST 2006

Hello,

First a tip: I found that using more buffers helps when playing back
mpegs and watching DVB in xine:
video.device.xvmc_more_frames:1

But: How do I know the buffers are at an optimal level?
engine.buffers.video_num_buffers defaults to 500 here, is that OK?
Can I tweak more here?

When I use the xine menu's, etc during playback I get dropped frames and
jumpy video as a result. (still the SP8000 with the *working* hardware
accelleration)

In other words: what more can I do to optimize the setup for smooth
playback and no (or very few) dropped frames when using menu's?

Then I started experimenting with HDTV content; trying a 1080i 16x9
video I got this error:

Unable to create XvMC Surface.
video_out_xxmc: ERROR: Accelerated surface allocation failed.
video_out_xxmc: You are probably out of framebuffer memory.
video_out_xxmc: Falling back to software decoding.
bad_frame
xiTK received SIGSEGV signal, RIP.

What could I improve to fix this error?
Upon retries playback started but was far from perfect.
The picture was jerky, had blocks, etc.

Non-HDTV 16:9 plays fine but the aspect ratio is wrong.
Xine has video.output.disable_scaling:0 but I still see a 4:3 picture
and have no option to override to 16:9?

What am I missing here?

Kind regards,
Udo