[Openchrome-users] buffering, xine, openchrome questions

Thomas Hellström thomas
Sun Feb 19 09:05:20 PST 2006

Hi.

Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

>Hello,
>
>First a tip: I found that using more buffers helps when playing back
>mpegs and watching DVB in xine:
>video.device.xvmc_more_frames:1

There are more tweaks in xine's xxmc documentation.
This makes xine allocate 15 xvmc buffers, instead of 8. Nvidia XvMC only
supports 8 buffers, so xine sets 8 per default.

>But: How do I know the buffers are at an optimal level?
>engine.buffers.video_num_buffers defaults to 500 here, is that OK?
>Can I tweak more here?

This variable has nothing to do with xvmc buffers. Not sure what it is
used for.

>When I use the xine menu's, etc during playback I get dropped frames and
>jumpy video as a result. (still the SP8000 with the *working* hardware
>accelleration)
>
>In other words: what more can I do to optimize the setup for smooth
>playback and no (or very few) dropped frames when using menu's?

Probably not much. Are you using the X servers "EnableAGPDMA" option?

>Then I started experimenting with HDTV content; trying a 1080i 16x9
>video I got this error:
>
>Unable to create XvMC Surface.
>video_out_xxmc: ERROR: Accelerated surface allocation failed.
>video_out_xxmc: You are probably out of framebuffer memory.
>video_out_xxmc: Falling back to software decoding.

This is because 1080i HDTV frames are so big that 15 does not fit in
framebuffer memory. You need to disable the xvmc_more_frames option.
Also make sure you have the bios allocate 64 MB of framebuffer memory at
startup.

>bad_frame
>xiTK received SIGSEGV signal, RIP.

Not sure about the segfault though