[Openchrome-users] buffering, xine, openchrome questions

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh
Sun Feb 19 09:13:07 PST 2006

Hello,

Thanks for the swift response!

Thomas Hellstr?m wrote:
> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>> First a tip: I found that using more buffers helps when playing back
>> mpegs and watching DVB in xine:
>> video.device.xvmc_more_frames:1
>>
> There are more tweaks in xine's xxmc documentation.
> This makes xine allocate 15 xvmc buffers, instead of 8. Nvidia XvMC only
> supports 8 buffers, so xine sets 8 per default.

More than 15 is worth a try?
I see that I need to study somewhat harder?

>> But: How do I know the buffers are at an optimal level?
>> engine.buffers.video_num_buffers defaults to 500 here, is that OK?
>> Can I tweak more here?
>>
> This variable has nothing to do with xvmc buffers. Not sure what it is
> used for.

Anyone?

>> In other words: what more can I do to optimize the setup for smooth
>> playback and no (or very few) dropped frames when using menu's?
>>
> Probably not much. Are you using the X servers "EnableAGPDMA" option?

Yes, the hardware is used to the fullest. CPU is 0.21, 0.28, 0.27
during a DVB session, so that is not a problem. Just the menu's etc need
some fixes (buffering) to make stuff smoother. Also the HD will be
running when using mythtv so the load will increase slightly.

>> Then I started experimenting with HDTV content; trying a 1080i 16x9
>> video I got this error:
>>
>> Unable to create XvMC Surface.
>> video_out_xxmc: ERROR: Accelerated surface allocation failed.
>> video_out_xxmc: You are probably out of framebuffer memory.
>> video_out_xxmc: Falling back to software decoding.
>>

> This is because 1080i HDTV frames are so big that 15 does not fit in
> framebuffer memory. You need to disable the xvmc_more_frames option.
> Also make sure you have the bios allocate 64 MB of framebuffer memory at
> startup.

Aha. It as 32MB now.
I will first concentrate at making the normal TV content work OK, then HDTV.

Thanks,
Udo