[Openchrome-users] Difference Between CN400 and CLE266

Ivor Hewitt ivor
Mon Feb 27 12:35:13 PST 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 20:08, Frank Chen wrote:

> I saw in the CN400 product brochure, CN400 supports
> MPEG2/4 and WMV hardware decoding. However, using xine
> to play WMV files, I only got the first or two frames,
> then it freezes. I suspect this is due to the new
> Windows Media 9 codec used in the WMV file, or the
> hardware decoding is not enabled. What does hardware
> decoding really mean from a developer perspective?
> Could you point me to the code where the hardware
> decoding is enabled? I was able to use gdb to break
> into xine, but have no clue where to look.

Only mpeg2 decoding is supported in the openchrome driver.

The cn400 chipset appears to be able to accelerate h263 mpeg4 streams, I'm not
sure what format wmv9 uses - a verbose xine or mplayer log would let you
know.
Also, last time we looked there was no significant performance increase using
the onboard decoder over using software decoding for sdtv res mpeg4 files.

It's probably worth making sure you've got an up-to-date version xine too.

Regards,

-
Ivor Hewitt.