[Openchrome-users] Via Unichrome DRI and Asus K8V-MX K8M800 troublesome

Dennis Heuer dh
Mon Jan 16 05:32:40 PST 2006

I am a bit confused about all the projects. I first posted to dri.sf but
somebody wrote to me that I might be right here. I read your docs at the
project site and found that possibly the Mesa project is the right
source. However, they just seem to incorporate what you provide, right?

The matter with the broken sound output may be solved. I installed the
Analog Devices AD1889 driver instead of the VIA82xx driver because of
information from the distributors catalogue [though it worked quite well
for being the wrong driver!].

I just post the original here:

Please help me because I feel the tumor growing realtime when sitting
before my computer screen...

I've dropped my old K7-cartridge Shuttle-Board, including a Riva TNT2,
for the Asus K8V-MX (with K8M800) and a Sempron 2800+. Everything went
fine so far. The old system (32Bit) started without trouble. However,
videos looked scratched and sound looped. Because even console tools
like ogg123 and mpg123 looped (and I knew such a behaviour from an older
linux with ACPI support), I installed linux 2.6.15 without ACPI (and
deactivated ACPI in BIOS). Sound still looped. And, I felt like on a
system with an old Riva128. The logfiles (dmesg and Xorg.log) showed no
errors.

I re-installed everything I could think of, including Mesa6.4.1 and
X7.0. Furhter, I checked the Mesa and the DRI project pages and worked
through the trouble-shooting lists. However, sound still looped and xine
DVB-T (with a TwinHan VisionDTV PCI-Ter (VisionPlus), Nxt6000-compatible
card) showed stripes on the TV-pic (at the right center [correction: the
stripes appear/disappear and move up/down at the right edge]; though not
in fullscreen mode, for whatever reasons ). And, the screen looked
"active" (very fast window-shaking in a range of, say, two pixels) and
white areas showed coloured snow-crash [correction: can find the
snow-crash all over the screen when concentrating on it].

I tried other resolutions and a new xorg.conf script (generated with
Xorg -configure, which included the DRI module two times: before and
after the dbe module). Nothing helped. I excluded the DRI module, but
nothing changed. After a restart (which is now proven to be the only
method to get things working again after having used DRI), sound worked
and DVB-T worked except of the stripes. After including the DRI module,
sound looped again (even from xterm and, after X shutdown, from linux
console).

I'm not shure but it seems that even the (very dark) Asus greeting-pic
shows some "activity". Because sound loops (even on console) when I
include the DRI module, the malfunction seems to be located in the
kernel module (I use the distributed one, statically linked). However,
the "restless" rendering seems to be a more general problem, probably
related to my Novita Multisync Monitor (Novita B17DL: 17", 0.26mm,
H30-96, V47-160, R1600x1200, C157.8MHz, D306mmx230mm)

Please write what further information you need.

Regards
Dennis Heuer