[Openchrome-users] Via Unichrome DRI and Asus K8V-MX K8M800 troublesome

Thomas Hellström thomas
Mon Jan 16 12:16:16 PST 2006

Hi!

Dennis Heuer wrote:

> [...]
>project site and found that possibly the Mesa project is the right
>source. However, they just seem to incorporate what you provide, right?
>
>The matter with the broken sound output may be solved. I installed the
>Analog Devices AD1889 driver instead of the VIA82xx driver because of
>information from the distributors catalogue [though it worked quite well
>for being the wrong driver!].
>
>I just post the original here:
>
>Please help me because I feel the tumor growing realtime when sitting
>before my computer screen...
>
>I've dropped my old K7-cartridge Shuttle-Board, including a Riva TNT2,
>for the Asus K8V-MX (with K8M800) and a Sempron 2800+. Everything went
>fine so far. The old system (32Bit) started without trouble. However,
>videos looked scratched and sound looped. Because even console tools
>like ogg123 and mpg123 looped (and I knew such a behaviour from an older
>linux with ACPI support), I installed linux 2.6.15 without ACPI (and
>deactivated ACPI in BIOS). Sound still looped. And, I felt like on a
>system with an old Riva128. The logfiles (dmesg and Xorg.log) showed no
>errors.
>
>I re-installed everything I could think of, including Mesa6.4.1 and
>X7.0. Furhter, I checked the Mesa and the DRI project pages and worked
>through the trouble-shooting lists. However, sound still looped and xine
>DVB-T (with a TwinHan VisionDTV PCI-Ter (VisionPlus), Nxt6000-compatible
>card) showed stripes on the TV-pic (at the right center [correction: the
>stripes appear/disappear and move up/down at the right edge]; though not
>in fullscreen mode, for whatever reasons ). And, the screen looked
>"active" (very fast window-shaking in a range of, say, two pixels) and
>white areas showed coloured snow-crash [correction: can find the
>snow-crash all over the screen when concentrating on it].
>
>I tried other resolutions and a new xorg.conf script (generated with
>Xorg -configure, which included the DRI module two times: before and
>after the dbe module). Nothing helped. I excluded the DRI module, but
>nothing changed. After a restart (which is now proven to be the only
>method to get things working again after having used DRI), sound worked
>and DVB-T worked except of the stripes. After including the DRI module,
>sound looped again (even from xterm and, after X shutdown, from linux
>console).
>
>I'm not shure but it seems that even the (very dark) Asus greeting-pic
>shows some "activity". Because sound loops (even on console) when I
>include the DRI module, the malfunction seems to be located in the
>kernel module (I use the distributed one, statically linked). However,
>the "restless" rendering seems to be a more general problem, probably
>related to my Novita Multisync Monitor (Novita B17DL: 17", 0.26mm,
>H30-96, V47-160, R1600x1200, C157.8MHz, D306mmx230mm)
>
>Please write what further information you need.

The sound looping problem is probably due to the sound card sitting on
the same IRQ as the video card. K8M/N800 have broken display IRQs, and
the kernel detects this and disables the IRQ line altogether -> the
sound card gets no interrupt requests.

Try
Option "DisableIRQ" "true"
In the device section of your xorg.conf.

For the snowy problem, it might be that you have hit an unstable
dotclock. Could you compile and install the openchrome driver, and post
an Xorg log. Optionally you can go to the source directory of the via
driver in Xorg (if you are using that), make sure that the HAVE_DEBUG
macro is defined in via_driver.h, and then recompile and install using

make clean; make; make install

Restart X and post the (gzipped) log.

/Thomas