[Openchrome-users] VN800

Wolfgang Pichl wolfgang.pichl
Thu Jan 26 13:41:47 PST 2006

Hi,
it seems to me that the openchrome driver currently does not support the
VN800, am I right?
Is there any hope that the chip will, at least basically, be supported in
the future?

I just got, for the first time in my life, a Graphics Controller from
Via in a new notebook and after checking all the xorg, viaarena,
unichrome and openchrome websites I am a little bit confused about the driver
situation. The via_drv.o in xorg-6.8.2 (from Slackware 10.2) definitly
does not work (not surprising, of course, I would not even have tried
it, if I had visited the above-mentioned websites before...).

As far as I understand, currently Via's proprietary driver seems to be the
one and only choice for the VN800 beyond the generic Vesa (?)
:-(

best regards
Wolfgang Pichl

a.o.Prof.Dr.Wolfgang Pichl
Institute for Materials Physics, University of Vienna
Boltzmanngasse 5
A-1090 Wien     AUSTRIA

email wolfgang.pichl at univie.ac.at