[Openchrome-users] TVout overscan adjustment on CN400?

John Robinson john.robinson
Wed Jul 5 02:42:29 PDT 2006

On 05/07/2006 09:58, Greg Farrell wrote:
>> No real issues - just wanting to fettle up the display so I can read the
>> Mythtv menus rather than quessing the first letter!
[...]
> Some over-scan is needed for good tv. Though if you've tested with a test
> card I guess you're pretty sure you've too much overscan.

Even if you did tweak the Noscale modes to fit your TV better, if you
stick with reasonably correct PAL (or NTSC) timings you're only going to
be able to move the picture about a little, and perhaps change the
horizontal size a little (e.g. by using a faster dotclock with wider
left and right borders to make the picture narrower). It won't be
possible to shrink or grow the picture vertically without removing or
adding scan lines, and that would definitely mean driving the TV with
non-PAL (or NTSC) timings - the CRT equivalent of overclocking.

Cheers,

John.