[Openchrome-users] NTSC 4:3 Which modes?

Jake Thompson jake
Fri Jun 9 07:36:29 PDT 2006

Hi All,
I have my openchrome driver with XvMC working fairly well under mythtv.
Although it is not as good as I had hoped, however this may be because I am
doing something wrong.

I have an EPIA MII1000 board.  This is attached vi S-Video to a standard
NTSC 4:3 good old glass tube TV.  Nothing fancy here.

At first I was working on getting 720x480NoScale to work right and there are
some known issues there(color fade at top of screen).

So what I have done, and it has been working, is I switched to using
640x480Over instead, this works well, but I can not send a MPEG2 stream
above 544x480 resolution without niticable jittering on the screen.

So, I decided to read what documentation I could find once again.

What I extrapolate as the optimal configuration is.....

Use the 720x480NoScale resolution.
Set DisplaySize to 400 300 since I only have a 4:3 display

Make sure recordings are all done in 720x480 so that the driver does not
have to do any scalling.

Use mythtv's "fill" aspect override to comensate for the fact that I am
putting a 16:9 video on a 4:3 display.

Does this sound correct, my head is spinning and I cannot make sense out of
it.

Thanks,
Jake