[Openchrome-users] Some general questions

Bilderbeek, Manuel manuel.bilderbeek
Thu Mar 23 23:52:38 PST 2006

Hello all,

I have troubles reaching the openchrome web site. Is it a local problem
or is there indeed a problem with the site?

About my questions (see below): I only got one reply. Are the questions
unclear, uninteresting or am I too impatient? :P
It's quite important to me.

--
Kind regards,

Manuel Bilderbeek

> I have some general questions about the via/unichrome drivers in Xorg.
> As I said before, I'm using a Via Epia with a CLE266 chipset, and I'm
> not interested in xv, only in 2D hardware acceleration and also in
> OpenGL acceleration. An 800x600x16bpp mode is what I intend to use.
>
> 1) what is supported in the driver in Xorg 6.8.2? I saw there is a via
> driver and also the unichrome_dri stuff is in it.
>
> 2) how is the 2D and 3D performance of the driver in Xorg 6.8.2,
> compared to 6.9 and the current SVN?
>
> 3) what is the minimum amount of video RAM to set up in the
> BIOS, needed
> for the above mentioned purposes? (I guess it's more for
> OpenGL than for
> only 2D, but how much? Both for Xorg 6.8.2 and 6.9, if there's a
> difference.)
>
> 4) in Xorg 6.8.2 I found both a unichrome_dri.so and a via_dri.so.
> What's the difference and how do I specify which one to use, if
> necessary? AFAIK I can only set the driver to 'via' in the
> Xorg.conf and
> via_drv determines which dri module to load.
>
> As you may have noticed, I'm stuck with Xorg 6.8.2 for now and I'm
> trying to grok what this means for me. Plus some additional things I'm
> not understanding yet :)
>
> Thanks for now!

This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a "reply" message.
Thank you for your cooperation.