[Openchrome-users] possible CH7xxx ActiveDevice problem

Boris Dušek borisdusek
Sat May 6 06:10:48 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

On Saturday 06 May 2006 00:27, Terry Lewis wrote:
> I've just spent the last hour trying to trace back why the ch7xxx
> initialisation doesn't seem to do anything beyond TVSave. I found that by
> setting ActiveDevice to TV doesn't trigger any of the DACSense code. Using
> defaults (no additional Options in the Device section) it detects my
> connected composite cable no problem. Tomorrow I will see if I get any kind
> of output on a TV.
>
> Things looking good so far anyway, starting to find my way around again. :)

I did some TV-out testing today; the results are interesting (for the
impatient: there is kind of a real tv output).

The results are on http://openchrome.wz.cz. There you can download xorg.conf
and Xorg.0.log, see 15 photos with commentary and watch the Terry Barnaby's
test video output.

I have never setup TV sections in xorg.conf, so I would much appreciate if
anyone with experience could skim through it and tell me if there is some
obvious wrong setting.

What I also noticed is that after X shutdown, there still was some flickering
on TV, (the TV was black and random white clouds of dots travelling fast to
bottom of the screen). Before *first* X start, there was no output on TV
(perhaps the driver is missing some kind of a TV-out cleanup on shutdown
of X?)

I did normal system startup (Gnome 2.14). There was some output on the screen,
the positioning of elements was wrong and some parts of screen were
distorted, but e.g. there was enough continuous undistorted place to
reasonably work with terminal.

Btw. after the test I read the manual for the TV and it said that it accepts
NTSC for "VIDEO IN", so I am not sure if "S-Video" is that case. I have
tested only with PAL. (I will probably test with NTSC in the future)

More on the webpage with results.

Cheers,
Boris Dusek