[Openchrome-users] SP8000e HDTV playback

Thomas Hellström thomas
Fri May 19 10:27:38 PDT 2006

Ivor Hewitt wrote:

>On Friday 19 May 2006 04:40, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I finally have an SP8000e. It's very slick, but I can't
>>seem to get HDTV playback working in mythtv. SDTV works
>>fine via VGA (TV OUT turned off and unplugged), but HDTV
>>1080i playback with myth's internal player just yields
>>a blank bluish screen. I'm running minimyth 0.19-12, and
>>here's what I see when I tail the Xorg log as I play
>>back a 1080i show:
>>

>Hmm it should work. But I haven't had time to try hdtv from mythtv. Worked
>fine from mplayer/xine last time I tried.
>
>Couple of things to check. I believe there was a change made to myth recently
>for nvidia cards I think so that it would only use xvmc for sdtv and drop
>back to xv for hdtv. Proably worth checking your mythfrontend log to see what
>it's doing.
>If you've got hdtv playback working in xine it sounds like there's a myth
>problem somewhere.
>I'll try and get myth running with hdtv and take a look.

Hi!

IIRC this is because MythTV insists on allocating 16 frames to the XvMC
frame queue. HDTV frames are quite big and 16 of them do not fit in
video memory. I've seen this problem circulate on the Myth lists a
couple of times and I think there is a workaround.

Anyway, make sure that you have 64MB of FrameBuffer memory allocated in
BIOS, but this alone will not help. I think it's possible to fit about
10 HDTV frames. Xine by default uses 8, so that's why it is working.

/Thomas