[Openchrome-users] SP8000e HDTV playback

Jesse Guardiani jesse
Sat May 20 21:40:18 PDT 2006

On Friday 19 May 2006 3:30 pm, Ivor Hewitt wrote:
> On Friday 19 May 2006 18:27, you wrote:
> > >
> > >Couple of things to check. I believe there was a change made to myth
> > > recently for nvidia cards I think so that it would only use xvmc for sdtv
> > > and drop back to xv for hdtv. Proably worth checking your mythfrontend
> > > log to see what it's doing.
> > >If you've got hdtv playback working in xine it sounds like there's a myth
> > >problem somewhere.
> > >I'll try and get myth running with hdtv and take a look.
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > IIRC this is because MythTV insists on allocating 16 frames to the XvMC
> > frame queue. HDTV frames are quite big and 16 of them do not fit in
> > video memory. I've seen this problem circulate on the Myth lists a
> > couple of times and I think there is a workaround.
> >
> hmmm, I thought they'd dropped that change for vld. bah I'll take a look.

Another few data points: I tried the same version of minimyth with an SP13000
today with the same results. SD works fine, but HD blanks out. A few of my
HD channels work, but when I run midentify on the nuv files, they are 740x480,
so nowhere near the resolution of 1080i. All of my 1080i channels fail.

I've been trying to compile my own version of GAR minimyth, but I'm not having
much luck. The build system is rather archaic. At least I've found out that
the versions of MythTV and Openchrome are fairly current. All within the last
month or so. So this appears to be an ongoing problem.

The good news is that I think I've solved my stability problems. I think the
lirc module for the Snapstream Firefly RF remote I was using was causing
lockups. The problem seems to have disappeared after I switched to a streamzap
remote.

I'm going to take a look at the frontend code tonight, but I doubt I'll be
able to track down the problem. Testing will be difficult because I don't
have a good way to rebuild minimyth. :( Can't wait to see what Ivor comes
up with.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin