[Openchrome-users] widescreen pal questions

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh
Thu Nov 2 11:40:39 PST 2006

Ken Huisman wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 17:05 +0100, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I might be getting a widescreen PAL TV in the near future.
>> What should I (re)consider to change in the config of the video modes,
>> Xine, etc, etc?
>
> It depends on what video encoder chip your via board has.  IFAIK, the
> only one that supports HD resolutions is the VT1625.
>
>> What about (semi) HD-TV capabilities of VIA chipsets? Do they exist?
>
> I know that the VT1625 chip supports HD 1080i and 720p resolutions.  I
> do not know if they work in the driver, has anyone tried them?

I saw that the VT1625 support is still in development.
Will be OK in a  year or so?

> If you are looking for a board to buy, commell has a board with this
> chip, and via has some boards as well that I am aware of.  I don't know
> which ones are the best.

EN/CN series? (do have 1625)

> I also do not know if the mpeg decoding in the driver is sufficient or
> appropriate to assist in HD tv playback.  Anyone?

Found the info at http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/StarterKit/

WMV9 support means H.264 ?
Would this be the best choice for alround video capabilities?
I asked VIA about mroe hardware details.

Udo