[Openchrome-users] 1625 TV encoder using S-Video output displays narrow image

Chad masterclc
Thu Oct 5 00:30:53 PDT 2006

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running 720p and 1080i out of Commell LV-677T via
> VT-1625 chip and component video.
>
> This is actual 720p and 1080i (NTSC) and the TV confirms it
> as such, as does my oscilloscope.
>
> By the way, I find the video looks a lot better via the
> VGA in which case I run 1280x768.  And using an LV-677D it
> looks even better via DVI.
>
> I have no experience running HD rates via composite or S-Video.
> Is that allowed (part of the standard)?
>
> --
> Brian Litzinger

Excellent, can you tell us what your running (distro, openchrome
version, kernel, etc)?  I'd be happy to try other options (distros,
kernel) if it's necessary.

Not sure if it's part of the standard (though I think 576i actually
is?) but using an Nvidia based board with S-Video output I can view my
HDTV content on my TV.  Does it down-res it, my offhand guess would be
yes, but having a fixed-resolution TV, I can't really test that out.
The TV I'm testing this on is a 32" Sony Wega with Component, Svideo
and Composite inputs.  I have yet to test the component (I should
though, and will after this weekend if that would help any).

But that really *is not* the problem.  I am *not* pushing any video
over the S-Video port.  I'm typing:
startx
I'm not trying to display HDTV, I'm not trying to display SDTV, I'm
not trying to draw pictures at 120x240 resolutions....  I'm unable to
get *any* picture using S-Video output from the VT1625 chipset.

Working one step at a time I am trying to make sure I am not confusing
anyone that may think I am getting this image when I send HDTV to the
display.  This happens as soon as I type startx.  FWIW, I can start up
and see the start up process just fine, and have even got a splash
image frame buffer working (using splashutils).

Thank you!

-Chad