[Openchrome-users] kanotix and openchrome drivers

alessandro.cantoni@gmail.com alessandro.cantoni
Sat Oct 14 11:46:02 PDT 2006

hi all, need help with openchrome drivers!

here's my approach to get kanotix work with openchrome on my
epia-mini-itx (m10k):

first I've installed some package to satisfy depndencies (as told into
"debian disto specific howto"):
I've installed:
subversion
build-essential
gcc
automake1.9
libtool
pkg-config
libxvmc-dev
xserver-xorg-dev
x11proto-fonts-dev
x11proto-randr-dev
x11proto-render-dev
x11proto-xf86dri-dev
libdrm-dev
x11proto-gl-dev
libgl1-mesa-dev

then followed "The 30 second unichrome install guide Modular driver
build for Xorg 7.0 or later":
 mkdir openchrome
  cd openchrome
  svn co http://svn.openchrome.org/svn/trunk
  cd trunk
  ./autogen.sh
  make
  make install

then I've copied via_drv.so from /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ to
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ outside X and restarted X, it works...

now:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at dri.freedesktop.org:/cvs/dri login
  (password for anonymous is empty, just hit enter)
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at dri.freedesktop.org:/cvs/dri co drm

  cd drm
  ./autogen.sh
  make
  make install

 and

  cd linux-core
  make LINUXDIR=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build DRM_MODULES=via
  cp *.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/
  depmod -ae

reboot

so what happens now?

mplayer works the first time I use it only, then refuses to start (as
user, as root it works, slowly but it works...).
xine doesn't work too... it says:
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.5cvs.
(c) 2000-2004 The xine Team.
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  141 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  4443

please help me! I'm quite noob with linux but I'd like to learn and make
this little funny board work as a media player!!

bye
al_do_at_work