[Openchrome-users] P4M800CE being detected as VM800

Chad masterclc
Fri Sep 1 00:27:05 PDT 2006

On 8/30/06, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/30/06, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/29/06, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I'm running OpenChrome via drivers from today, and DRM checked out
> > > from today as well, all following the instructions on the wiki (and
> > > using svn/cvs as necessary).
> > >
> > > A bit of background:
> > > I had a working [Gentoo] system and decided to break it :(  I was
> > > upgrading a few major packages (GCC to 4.1.1, Xorg to 7.1) and decided
> > > I should also include updates to Via, MythTV and Mplayer.  And now I
> > > have a slightly unusable system.  XvMC isn't actually working in
> > > mythtv, and I believe it is due to X incorrectly identifying my
> > > chipset.  MythTV version is SVN (it's on a code freeze and I figured
> > > I'd help out with testing the almost finished code for any bugs) from
> > > today, I'm calling it 0.20 even though it's not quite there just
> > > yet...
> > >
> > > Any help on getting my system back to normal would be great.  I'm
> > > attaching the verbose output from lspci and the Xorg.0.log (both
> > > gzipped) and hopefully those will help.
> > >
> > > Thank you!
> > >
> > > -Chad
> >
> > I'm no further on this than before, does anyone have some insight as
> > to what my problem may be?  If it seems I'm mixing some bad versions
> > of any certain applications I'm up for
> > re-configuring/install/upgrading/downloading just about any version of
> > any application, I'm just not sure which one do that on.
> >
> > Any thoughts at all are appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -Chad
>
> I've got an FX5200 just sitting around, I'll drop that in the machine
> and use it instead of the Via chipset for now.  I'm doing some
> remodeling for the entertainment room and can't hold off any longer :)
>  If anyone has any ideas, I'll be able to do testing etc. later on
> this week.  It may be that I'm not describing my hardware well enough:
> It's a Biostar P4M80-4 with just a VGA output (no TV, no DVI, no...
> anything else) and a P4M800CE chipset in it.  XvMC is initializing
> according to the Xorg.0.log file originally attached, but it appears
> to not be working correctly as it's incorrectly identifying my chipset
> as a VM800.  512MB of RAM, no hard drive, nothing in the PCI slots,
> and a DVD burner.  Oh yeah, a Celeron D running at it's stock speed of
> 2.13Ghz.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Chad

The FX5200 is a no go (currently) as the case I've chosen is a
half-height PCI case instead of PCI reisers.  So, until the
half-height bracket arrives for my card, I'm stuck.

I've also got a board with a CN400 chipset on it, but because MythTV
has the bug where I cannot play 1080i clips on it (and the CPU is too
underpowered to not use XvMC), it's also a brick.  I've yet another
board that is a commell 667T, but falls into the same category of 'not
working' because of the MythTV bug.  I'm more than happy to be a test
dummy, but without code to test or instructions on how to use it, I'm
just a dummy ;)

So, what I've done so far with the P4M800CE issue:
Completely rebuilt the entire system from scratch on Gentoo.
Installed the latest SVN (from yesterday) for unichrome and CVS for
DRI/DRM according to the instructions on the wiki.  The problem
persists.  I'm willing to chalk it up to an error with the pciids.txt
file, but I don't have a clue where to start changing things to 'test'
it out.

In the meantime, I'll be cleaning the computer room up as there is
little else to do :)  If anyone has *any* suggestion to try, I'm more
than willing to give it a shot.

Thanks!

-Chad