[Openchrome-users] P4M800CE being detected as VM800

calinb userforum
Fri Sep 1 23:28:48 PDT 2006

Re: P4M800CE being detected as VM800
Chad,  I came here (newly registered) to seek help compiling the mplayer patch and saw your post.  I'm a Gentoo newb but I've seen your problem with other distros on my mobo--an ECS P4M800 Pro M.  It has the Via P4M800 Pro chipset.  This Gentoo system is the first distro to run correctly with my mobo.  I used the GUI 2006.0 CD (one day before 2006.1 came out :() and installed X-Org 7.0 and GCC 4.1.1.  I also built a new kernel with very little tweaking as I'm just trying to get XvMC working with mplayer and MythTV quickly.

 I was still working through some library issues with 4.1.1 when 2006.1 was released and  I did an emerge -uavD world.  Everything went fairly well.  Next I installed Openchrome and DRM using this guide, but there were a few problems I had to resolve myself.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Unichrome_How-To

Openchrome, XvMC, and DRM appear to be up.  The chipset seems to be identified correclty.

If you are interested in my kernel config settings, let me know.  You could try X-Org 7.0.

Now if I can just get the mplayer patch to compile!

lspci:
localhost portage # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M800CE Host Bridge
.....blah blah blah
..
-01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UniChrome Pro IGP (rev 01)

Xorg.0.conf:
(II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.8
.....blah blah blah
..
(--) VIA(0): Detected ECS P4M800PRO-M.

-Cal