[Openchrome-users] What shall we do about this bug

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton
Sat Sep 23 14:45:16 PDT 2006

So the problem with Trac bug #42 is an invalid pointer being referenced
for the RefreshRate that is setup.  After a bunch of debugging I finally
noticed in the logs the real problem.

(II) VIA(0): Monitor0: Using default hsync range of 28.00-33.00 kHz
(II) VIA(0): Monitor0: Using default vrefresh range of 43.00-72.00 Hz

The hsync setup for the monitor isn't high enough so VBE isn't setting
up any refresh rates for the modes it sets.  Changing the hsync in the
xorg.conf fixes this problem.

My question is should this be filed as an upstream bug, or should it be
handles in via_vbe.c?  We should be able to fail a bit more gracefully
than a crashed X server and a stack trace.

I will leave the bug open until we decide if we fix it in openchrome, or
in vbe in xorg.

Jon