[Openchrome-users] current build instructions

Xavier Bachelot xb_ml
Mon Sep 25 05:12:37 PDT 2006

Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Currently the wiki
> (http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Compiling+the+source+code)
> advises to build the via_drv module like this:
>
>   mkdir openchrome
>   cd openchrome
>   svn co http://svn.openchrome.org/svn/trunk
>   cd trunk
>   ./autogen.sh
>   make
>   make install
>
> When doing it like this, I have to move the resulting via_drv.so
> from /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/
> to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ afterwards.
> Shouldn't the instructions contain a './configure --prefix=/usr'?

Few comments :
- the --prefix= is distro dependant, though I think it's better this days.
- "hardcoding" it to /usr will possibly have Joe User silently stepping
over toes of his packages manager.

I agree the doc as-is will often lead the average user to a non-working
install, but I'd rather have a carefully written note around that than
just the --prefix=/usr added.