[Openchrome-users] Fujitsu Siemens Laptop, Via VN896 Chrome9

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Tue Apr 3 09:52:04 PDT 2007

probos wrote:
> Re: Fujitsu Siemens Laptop, Via VN896 Chrome9
>   I'm having the same problem, everything seems to work but there's no "via_drv.so" for Xorg to load and I get a black-white (sometimes green) weird changing screen that locks everything.

If xorg can't find the via driver, then the driver is not compiled
and/or installed properly. Please be more verbose and list all the steps
you've taken to compile the driver and please provide an xorg log. More
details on your hardware/distro/etc... might also be useful.

Wild guess : you've installed the driver in /usr/local/lib not in /usr/lib

> I've also tried with the VIA 71 and 72 drivers, with them I get the "via_drv.so" done and loaded, (I can reboot or Alt+F1, by the way, even with VESA I get bad resolution for Alt+F1 and it's impossible reading anything) but I get a menu-bar wide line  in the middle of the screen.

VIA driver is not supported here. Please (try to) get support from the
viaarena forums, but afaict their driver is not working for your
chipset. Openchrome should at least give you basic 2D and Xv support.