[Openchrome-users] RHEL and VIA

Tony Grant tony
Mon Apr 16 23:02:08 PDT 2007

Le mardi 17 avril 2007 ? 00:26 +0200, Xavier Bachelot a ?crit :

> > I feel your pain but my problem is Fedora Core not VIA. Using a Linksys
> > WiFi adaptor that need ndiswrapper I have to use a custom kernel because
> > of the 4K kernel stacks issue...

> ermm, no, in this case, the pain comes from Linksys not providing
> drivers suitable for kernel inclusion. Ndiswrapper is a cheap trick, not
> a real driver. You can't blame Fedora for not being able to use a
> wrapper around Window$ binary drivers.

My fault! I shouldn't buy 1.50? adaptors on ebay, I should buy the
expensive ones supported in the kernel...

I agree ndiswrapper is a cheap hack. It does work well for people with
limited budgets. The kind of person using Linux on the desktop. Oh and
Fedora Core is one of the rare "desktop" distributions to prevent the
use of cheap WiFi adaptors - must be for a rich elite?

wine would be a cheap trick for running WindowsTM binaries?

</rant>

In the real world sometimes one has to do these things Xavier. Using a
Windows binary driver isn't as dangerous as the "vote sanction" in the
Presidential elections after all. I "paid" for the driver, using a cheap
trick to make it work does not stop me losing sleep. Ubuntu folk don't
seem to mind either... =:-p

Tony