[Openchrome-users] need help for VIA VN896.......Thanks ;)

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Fri Aug 10 08:08:43 PDT 2007

Maurizio Mariani wrote:
> Sorry Xavier,
>   it,s first time for me.

No problem, I wasn't very clear anyway, sorry.

> I'm in this page :
> http://www.openchrome.org/trac/browser/branches/vn896_branch/unichrome/
> via.h?rev=361&order=name#L1
> Is this the code?

Yes.
This is what you need to do to get the driver from the correct branch
compiled and installed :

svn co http://svn.openchrome.org/svn/branches/vn896_branch
cd vn896_branch
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install

take care, it'll overwrite the openchrome driver you're currently using.

> And I've seen that I've to do these commands:
>  cd /usr/src/linux
>   patch -p1 < /path/to/patch
>   make drivers/char/agp/
>   cp drivers/char/agp/*.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/agp/
>   depmod -ea
>
>  Load the modules:
>   modprobe agpgart
>   modprobe via-agp
>
> But how I,ve to take the code ? copy&paste to a text file?
> And after, copy it to /usr/src/linux?

You don't need to bother about agp for now. You need to have a working
display first.

> And with the previous rpm installation
> 7.2-33_openchrome302 ?

I don't know what you are talking about here, or actually I don't know
which distro you're running and where this additional rpm comes from
thus I can't comment, but it's really unlikely to be built from a
development branch (vn896_branch).

> Sorry to all the list too but,
> I need to learn,
> and learn quick  ;)

no problem :-)

Just one thing, please refrain from top-posting.