[Openchrome-users] Not enough bandwidth?

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe
Sat Dec 22 05:00:23 PST 2007

Hello

I was trying to get the openchrom dirver to work (from trunk) on a
K8M890 but seem to run into a problem:

[...]
(II) CHROME(0): ViaValidMode: Validating 1680x1050 (147140)
(II) CHROME(0): ViaModePrimaryVGAValid
(II) CHROME(0): Required bandwidth is not available. (423370592 > 74000000)
(II) CHROME(0): Not using default mode "1680x1050" (mode clock too high)
[...]

After a lot of similar things it falls back to 640x480 which is really
not very nice.  Before that it rejects a lot of modes due to out of
range v and h syncs etc, but they all look fine.  However then it
starts to do bandwidth checks and rejects everything appart from the
640x480.

When using the propriatry via driver however, it can do 1680x1050 so
the bandwidth must be there?  Any hints on what could be wrong?  Here
some config extracts:

#Modules: i2c, bitmap, dcc, dri, extmod, freetype, glx, int10, vbe

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "OpenChrome"
        Driver          "openchrome"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

# The monitor is actually a Samsun SyncMaster 225BW
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "openchrome"
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Openchrome Screen"
        Device          "OpenChrome"
        Monitor         "openchrome"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   24
                Modes   "1680x1050"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Lastly a warning, I don't really know much about video and how
everything is supposed to work (but I like X to have many terminals
and emaces viewable at the same time...).  But any help will be
greatly appreciated.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom