[Openchrome-users] SP13000 + fuzzy vga output at high resolutions

Luc Verhaegen libv
Wed Jan 17 11:41:56 PST 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 03:13:38PM +0100, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> brightman wrote:
> > SP13000 + fuzzy vga output at high resolutions
> > I was thinking about buying an SP13000 board and driving the VGA output at the same resolution as my LCD which would mean a resolution of 1680 x 1050.
> >
> > Firstly is this reasonably straighforward using the openchrome drivers (is there an easy way to fathom out a suitable modeline, I've used powerstrip in the past?)
> >
> The modeline won't be hard to get. Just run 'gtf 1680 1050 60 -x' and
> stick the output into your xorg conf.
>
> > Secondly I've been reading on a couple of VIA related forums about problems with the VGA output on SP13000 boards at resolutions of 1280 x 1024 (and higher).
> >
> However, and I don't know if it's related to the above mentioned
> fuzziness pb, high resolutions will require a lot of bandwidth, so the
> ram type you are using might come into the game.
>
> Regards,
> Xavier

In this case, using cvt -r might relieve the problem. 1680x1050 is a
resolution for a TFT based monitor, so reduced blanking should be
preferred if you're providing modelines anyway.

Luc Verhaegen.
http://unichrome.sf.net/