[Openchrome-users] CN700 stability

Hindrik Hettema h_hettema
Thu Jan 18 10:03:11 PST 2007

Christiaan van Dijk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [...]

> Main problem remaining is the handling of concurrent DMA transfers. I
> first blamed the Openchrome driver (for which my apologies :-) ) but the
> real problem is caused by the chipset/initial settings from the BIOS. I
> recently reported the problem to Jetway and got a reply saying they
> would look into it (reply within some days =-O ).
> Right now the system is running with only one DMA device enabled (VGA)
> and is stable as far I have tested.
>
> [...]
> I do not know if the VIA CN700 boards have the same problem with
> concurrent DMA, for the VT8235 there were DMA problems for a very long
> time, a BIOS patch solved  (??)  the problem.

Hello everybody,

My latest experience in this matter: I had compiled a 2.6.19-r3 kernel
without DMA enabled. This made things much better, however, I still had
one complete hangup 2 days ago, again when accessing the harddisk (i.e.
you hear the tick, and then nothing...).

Since no DMA was available (for example, I get the error message that
hdparm is not able to set DMA), I now have to presume it is NOT related
to DMA, only using DMA seems to increase the probability of failure.

Does anybody still have any ideas, since I am running out of (and think
to return my HUSH as a warranty claim) - the only thing I can think of
is to install Windows to check if the behaviour also happens in that OS.
If so, it is a VIA problem, if not -- it may still be a bug in the kernel.

Hindrik