[Openchrome-users] strange startup, and can't run 1920x1080, SP8000E w/DVI-02

gpeters@deepsky.com gpeters
Sun Jan 21 14:34:08 PST 2007

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 07:03:19PM +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:

> The hardware supports it, adjust the bandwidth table to suit your needs
> (in this case). It should be well possible to do 1920x1080 on the SP
> when you're using DDR400. Replace the relevant entry with 500000000, and
> try again.
>
> VIA says that a maximum of 1600x1200 is supported, but that's because
> VIA doesn't do free modesetting. They don't do reduced blanking. Use cvt
> -r to generate a reduced blanking mode.

It's working great, thanks for the good advice Luc.  I will use cvt
and some quality time with xvidtune to get something that works.  The
"flashing" effect I reported earlier was due to vertical sync; I
lengthend the vertical front porch and the problem went away.

I am currently getting "green dots" on DVD playing.  I don't know why.
More on if a reduced blankig mode makes this go away.  I am not using
XvMC, I can't get XvMC working (I'll keep working at it).

Thanks.

- Gavin