[Openchrome-users] strange startup, and can't run 1920x1080, SP8000E w/DVI-02

Luc Verhaegen libv
Sun Jan 21 10:03:19 PST 2007

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 06:25:19PM +0100, 3d wrote:

> Here is what I asked VIA back in December:
> What are the maximum display resolutions supported by the SP and EK series motherboard when using the DVI adapters for output? I can't find any information on your website. I was about to buy some of these boards for use as linux based HD-HTPC (mythtv) front ends but I saw something on a site which alluded to the DVI output only supporting 1024x768 output. I plan on using 1920x1080p as I am currently using on my P4 boxes which I was hoping these would replace.
>
> There response was:
> Our DVI daughterboard supports resolution up to 1600x1200.
>

> Also, I thought I read explicitly that 1920x1080 was supported by the VGA port (although it would be blurry no doubt) on these boards.  Hmm. I've haven't tried hooking mine up to my HD LCD yet.  Perhaps I'll have chance to work around the family and try it later today.  If it can do 1920x1080 via VGA but not DVI then it's not a memory bandwidth problem but may be bottleneck elsewhere (which is what VIA said would happen).
>
> --Scott

The hardware supports it, adjust the bandwidth table to suit your needs
(in this case). It should be well possible to do 1920x1080 on the SP
when you're using DDR400. Replace the relevant entry with 500000000, and
try again.

VIA says that a maximum of 1600x1200 is supported, but that's because
VIA doesn't do free modesetting. They don't do reduced blanking. Use cvt
-r to generate a reduced blanking mode.

Luc Verhaegen.
http://unichrome.sf.net/