[Openchrome-users] Helo command rejected: Host not found

Heike C. Zimmerer lists
Thu Jun 14 00:49:15 PDT 2007

Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> writes:

> Jun 10 16:47:30 ashley postfix/smtpd[32505]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> ns2.gothnet.se[82.193.160.251]: 450 4.7.1 <GOTHNET-SMTP2.gothnet.se>:
> Helo command rejected: Host not found;
> from=<openchrome-users-bounces at openchrome.org>
> to=<jelledejong at powercraft.nl> proto=ESMTP helo=<GOTHNET-SMTP2.gothnet.se>
>
> Hello guys,
>
> It seems that the smtp server that the list is using, does not behave
> like the recommended smtp standards for sending email. I love to get
> mail from the  openchrome mailing list, but with the current smtp sender
> it will get blocked.

There's nothing wrong with that: The name the sending machine claims
to be (GOTHNET-SMTP2.gothnet.se -> NXDOMAIN) isn't registered with the
DNS.

> Is it possible to use a more secure smtp service? so that we increase
> the security of the internet and live more closely to the open standards?

It's a measure to make SMTP more secure.  Your host cannot be
verified.  You should either provide a valid domain (e.g. by
masquerading as a valid host) or let your mail be relayed by the
services your ISP provides.