[Openchrome-users] Black screen with VIA Chrome9 HC DX9

Tassilo Horn tassilo
Sat Jun 23 14:27:10 PDT 2007

Benno Schulenberg <bensberg at justemail.net> writes:

Hi Benno,

>> > Comment out the loading of the dri and glx modules.  Add the option
>> > VBEModes "True" to the via Device section.  Also comment out the
>> > DPMS option in the monitor section for the moment.
>>
>> I did as you said but still I'm getting the black screen and the
>> computer freezes. Unfortunately it even doesn't create a Xorg.0.log.
>
> That latter thing is weird.  What file system are you using that it
> cannot preserve a half-written file?

It's ext3.

> If you can, mount the file system with the sync option (it might be
> possible to just remount only /var/log/ with that option).

Ok, did that and now I have another Xorg.0.log. :-)

> Also post the output of 'dmesg | grep -e agp -e drm', when booted into
> single user mode, without starting X.

I was not in single user mode, because the computer boots into X
directly and if I `init 1' or `C-M-F1' I get a frozen machine, like
starting X with the via driver, even with the vesa driver.

If it really matters, I can figure out how to stop kdm from starting
tomorrow.

> And post your actual xorg.conf again.

Did that.

> Note that I know nothing about these newer (Uni)Chrome chips. I just
> have a simple old KM400.  Join #unichrome or irc.freenode.net if you
> wish to talk to that have experience with the newer chips.

Ok, I'll do that.

All the configs and logs are on http://www.tsdh.de/mnb/, the new ones
you request in your last message start with '2-'.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
The easiest way to determine Chuck Norris' age is to cut him in half and
count the rings.