[Openchrome-users] Black screen with VIA Chrome9 HC DX9

Benno Schulenberg bensberg
Sat Jun 23 12:45:15 PDT 2007

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Benno Schulenberg <bensberg at justemail.net> writes:
> > Comment out the loading of the dri and glx modules.  Add the
> > option VBEModes "True" to the via Device section.  Also comment
> > out the DPMS option in the monitor section for the moment.
>
> I did as you said but still I'm getting the black screen and the
> computer freezes. Unfortunately it even doesn't create a
> Xorg.0.log.

That latter thing is weird.  What file system are you using that it
cannot preserve a half-written file?  If you can, mount the file
system with the sync option (it might be possible to just remount
only /var/log/ with that option).

Also post the output of 'dmesg | grep -e agp -e drm', when booted
into single user mode, without starting X.

And post your actual xorg.conf again.

Note that I know nothing about these newer (Uni)Chrome chips.  I
just have a simple old KM400.  Join #unichrome or irc.freenode.net
if you wish to talk to that have experience with the newer chips.

Benno