[Openchrome-users] Slow performance with Flash player#

Brian Bulkowski brian
Mon Jun 25 07:20:42 PDT 2007

Another vote from over here ---- flash is slow.

YouTube provides an excellent world-accessible example.

My Epia CN-10000 board running firefox plays YouTube at about 1 fps with
Flash. That just by eyeballing it - the little window seemed to be
updating about once a second. Maybe twice. Not a pleasant experience.

I believe I have EXA enabled, with Gentoo, and was using an SVN level of
somewhere around 312. Running properly through AGP and with xvid running
MPEG2 acceleration wonderfully.

My suspicion is that the VIA C7 at 1Ghz should be able to process flash
video, and the problem is software, but I have no data to back that up.
Macromedia's trying to do something hard - pure binary distributions in
Linux.

Although - this was far secondary to never getting NTSC TVout working,
which caused me to abandon the board.

-brianb