[Openchrome-users] Slow performance with Flash player#

Gregoire Gentil gregoire
Fri Jun 29 11:37:02 PDT 2007

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:04:46 +0200
> From: "Fredrik Ohrstrom" <oehrstroem at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Openchrome-users] Slow performance with Flash player#
> To: "Brian Candler" <B.Candler at pobox.com>
> Cc: "openchrome-users at openchrome.org"
> 	<openchrome-users at openchrome.org>
>
> I have an VIA EPIA SP 800 running Ubuntu Feisty,
> with mplayer from multiverse and the youtube-dl python script
> I can download and play youtube movies full screen with only ~20% cpu usage.
> Something is not quite right with the audio sync, but I suppose that
> can be fixed.
>
> Mplayer makes use of the Xv extension and the flash plugin probably
> does not. In fact simply having a paused flash player on screen takes 14% cpu!
> So it must be doing a lot of other unnecessary stuff as well.
>
> //Fredrik
It's what I mentioned in my previous post. MPlayer can do a much better
job than Flash, hence my hack to replace Flash by MPlayer in Firefox.
Flahs doesn't have hardware scaling which mplayer+xv has.

For the sync problem you are mentioning, this problem was reported to
the mplayer mailing list a few months ago - I reported it ;-) - and a
fix circulated on the mailing list at that time,

Gregoire