[Openchrome-users] Fujitsu Siemens Laptop, Via VN896 Chrome9

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Thu Mar 29 12:42:11 PDT 2007

jsenior at eircom.ie wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I installed the updated experimental_branch after Xavier's update to
> include the new PCI ID.  I now have a working screen on my laptop
> (1280x800), thanks Xavier.
>
> A few problems that I've noticed:
>
> * X will not restart: restart will not reboot the laptop (X dies, black
> screen, power off required).  Suspend will not un-suspend.  Similar
> problem with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, window manager shuts down but does not
> restart.

This will need some investigations. Chrome9 support is nowhere near
complete.

> * Google Earth hangs the laptop with a black screen after the initial
> splash.
>
> * Starting the beryl-manager gives a white screen without crashing the
> laptop.
>
> * Finally, glxinfo has the following output:
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for
> operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  157 (GLX)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  3  (X_GLXCreateContext)
>   Serial number of failed request:  18
>
>   Is this output normal?

Anything involving 3D is likely not to work for any Chrome9 chipset
(K8M890, P4M900), at least for now. This is a different 3D engine than
the earlier chipset and it is not supported by mesa yet.