[Openchrome-users] Brightness/contrast controls?

Gonzalo A. de la Vega gadelavega
Tue May 1 17:36:02 PDT 2007

On 5/1/07, Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be> wrote:

> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 08:54:43PM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> > On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 08:51:08PM +0200, Tony Grant wrote:
> > > Le mardi 01 mai 2007 ? 20:38 +0200, Luc Verhaegen a ?crit :

> that
> > >
> > > VIA had one that worked with their "driver" and I asked if you (the
> > > developers of that time) had the source but no body was interested in
> > > end user tools.
> > >
> > > Have times changed?
> > >
> > > Tony
> >
> > When was this? 2004?
> >
> > Luc Verhaegen.
>
> Besides, VIA does these things through another Xv adapter, through the
> very rudimentary attribute system there.
>
> That stuff is sickening :)
>
> Luc Verhaegen.

I'll share my experience FWIW (I'm a telecom engineer, so my programming
sucks)
I had a similar problem with my laptop's display, and I ended up "hard"
conding the contrast/brightnes correction into the driver. I found no
"comfortable" way of using any X interface to apply a proper colormap (which
I believe would be the correct way of doing it), every time I tried to
change the colormap, X complained about me trying to write read only data.
I understand the solution would be a driver specific thing, but I don't know
how to do this without violating all the X programming rules.

Gonzalo A. de la Vega