[Openchrome-users] P4M890 problems with TV

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Tue Nov 13 13:57:06 PST 2007

civico wrote:
> Re: P4M890 problems with TV Hi,
>
> I have an Asus P5V-VM DH, VIA P4M890, running Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
> (7.10) too, and exact the same problem. Whenever I try to play a
> video file, there are green artifacts (sometimes red ones too). I am
> attaching a picture made playing a DVD with VideoLan (VLC). Other
> media players look pretty much the same.
>
> With openSUSE 10.3, I get "Device not found" in my Xorg.0.log, so it
> runs on a Device fbdev, which has no 2D acceleration, but at least I
> can watch movies. My main motivation is to try to use my Pinnacle
> PCTV USB2 (em28xx) and therefore get rid of M$Windows, but I am stuck
> with the graphics driver.
>
> Although I am not new to Unix, this whole area of driver tweaking is
> relatively new to me. I gave up building the VIA driver, the
> Unichrome driver doesn't get recognized and the openchrome is my
> hope.
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help provided,
>
> Denis

Zoltan, Denis,

Not sure if this could be the root of your pb, but I wouldn't recommend
running with VBEModes option enabled. This option should be
automatically enabled by the driver whenever needed (mostly for laptop
panel initialization). Try without it and see if it makes any difference.

OT, I jump on the fact both of you run a P4M890. I would like to have
the attached patch tested. If you have a bit of time, could you please
send xorg logs with and without this patch applied ? It will help
improve memory detection for the P4M890 chipset. Thanks in advance.