[Openchrome-users] Ubuntu 7.10 and VIA VN800 'xorg.conf' error

Coady Buckley-Zistel Buckley-Zistel
Fri Nov 16 23:40:29 PST 2007

Xavier,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have since learned by looking at my
previous Debian based installations that the chipset issue I mentioned
is not decisive. I am sorry that I was not clear in my post. The
situation is this:

I have an installation of Fedora 8 running on the same laptop as I run
Debian Etch and Ubuntu Feisty. Fedora uses the openchrome driver and
works well (with the work around for the screen blanking/greying).
Debian does not use the openchrome driver but runs "1024x768" screen res
with default drivers. Ubuntu Feisty uses a previous version openchrome
driver and runs well. Ubuntu 7.10 is another case, however.

With a clean install of 7.10, I can boot the system run the X server and
load GDM, load the desktop and log into the system. However, the default
screen res is only "800x600" and I know this screen will run at "1024x768".

I then ran the 'openchrome' script. This should allow me to correct the
screen res problem, but the only entry for "Modes" under the section is
"Screen" is "800x600". The driver has changed from 'vesa' to
'openchrome' which is correct. If I try to edit the 'xorg.conf' by
adding "1024x768" (in screen > display > modes), for example, then the X
server fails and I cannot run GDM and load the desktop, at all.
Following this error, X server falls back to 'failsafe' mode and does
not load the normal 'xorg.conf'.

Here is the section from the 'xorg.conf':
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Generic Video Card"
	Driver		"openchrome"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Generic Video Card"
	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Modes		"800x600"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

The openchrome driver is loaded but I cannot run X server or a desktop
except in low graphics mode.

ATTACHMENTS:
(1) the log file from the openchrome script
(2) 'Xorg.0.log'

Thanks for you help.
Regards,
Coady