[Openchrome-users] X screen 'fades' to white on OQO Model 02 (CX700 chipset)

Elias Kunnas elias
Sun Oct 14 21:54:41 PDT 2007

Hi,

I recently bought an OQO Model 02, which has apparently VIA CX700 as an
integrated graphics chipset that is supported by openchrome's experimental
branch (lspci reports it as VIA Technologies, Inc. Unknown device 3157).

I installed Debian Etch to it, which uses linux 2.6.18 with some patches.
On that kernel, openchrome driver works most of the time. I tried to update
to a more recent kernel, 2.6.22 and later 2.6.23, e.g. for better power
managing features. On these kernel versions, as well as on 2.6.18 sometimes,
openchrome always only 'fades' X screen to white, rendering the screen
unusable. I haven't tested if it's the case on 2.6.18 when it fails, though
I'd guess it is, but at least on 2.6.22+ vga and vesa drivers fail too,
though X won't even start in that case.

I initially asked about this on the openchrome IRC channel, where I was
instructed to post X logs and /proc/mtrr contents on both 2.6.18 (on typical
startup) and 2.6.22+. The logs are attached.

This message didn't reach the mailing list the first time, as I was unaware
that I needed to subscribe to it first. I've installed Debian unstable after
I first sent this message. It too has a 2.6.22 kernel (with some patches),
and produces the same error, although with somewhat different log files.
Different Xorg log might also be the result of using some different options
for OpenChrome in xorg.conf, but I haven't tested that.

Regards,
Elias