[Openchrome-users] [Announce] openchrome 0.3.0 release candidate

Chad masterclc
Sat Oct 20 11:42:39 PDT 2007

On 10/20/07, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/07, Xavier Bachelot <xavier at bachelot.org> wrote:
> > Chad wrote:

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Well, whatever the problem is that the billionmonkeys version solves
> > > is still not fixed in this release.  My setup is a 480i TV with
> > > S-Video and Component (as well as composite) inputs, in NTSC land.  I
> > > use the S-Video output from my Commell LV-667T (VT1625) to the S-Video
> > > input on the TV.  I get out-of-sync lines across the screen using any
> > > (or none even) resolution.  My xorg.conf says no mode is valid.  With
> > > BillionMonkeys I can get 720x480Under working, and that's it.  The
> > > problem with just sticking with that resolution is it makes my TV
> > > somewhat trapezoidal shaped and is severely underscanned.
> > >
> > > I'd be happy to provide logs and config files if anyone is interested
> > > in working with me to get this working with the regular openchrome
> > > release rather than patching with a very old patch against a very old
> > > openchrome svn.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > -Chad
> >
> > I was about to commit 2 VT1625 patches. First is the one you need. It
> > adds 720x480Under, 720x480Fit and 720x480Over NTSC modes (from Ken
> > Huisman, Billionmonkeys.net). The 2nd adds 720x576 PAL mode. It was
> > posted on the ML not too long ago by Daniel Ramsay.
> >
> > Update to latest from trunk and let us know how it goes.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Xavier
>
> Cool, thanks.  Defnite improvement, but it's still not at all
> viewable.  I've uploaded 2 pictures of what I see, I haven't got a lot
> of ideas on how to fix it.  If anyone has some 'pointers' I'd be happy
> to hack it and submit a patch once it works.
>
> The link to the pictures:
> Trunk, with the patches applied, 720x480Over 24bit:
> http://www.curvins.com/pictures/main.php?g2_itemId=44
>
> Latest release (first release) without patches applied:
> http://www.curvins.com/pictures/main.php?g2_itemId=48
>
> I'll test the other modes/depths in a bit, but ultimately this is the
> mode/depth I need to work.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Chad

Ok, I was able to give the following a "whirl"

24 and 16bit:
720x480
720x480Over
720x480Fit
720x480Under

The only one that produced a somewhat viewable image was 720x480Fit in
16bit.  But the image was jumpy, about 30 times a second I'd guess,
and it would display the same image in 2 different locations with each
frame (if that makes sense, like it was alternating frames and image
locations).  It also only takes up the upper left part of my screen
(about 1/2 black border on bottom and right of the screen).

I suppose if I was prone to having seizures it would have induced one
:D  After staring at for a while and typing, I could eventually read
what I had typed, so it is indeed closer to something usable.  But as
I said, I need 24bit (and the full screen) ultimately.

Thanks!

-Chad