[Openchrome-users] HP 2133 1.6 2GB/120 WLAN BT 3-CELL 8.9#VHB

Forest Bond forest
Sun Dec 21 16:28:53 PST 2008

Hi,

[Resend; I no longer attach the IRC excerpt, because I suspect that may have
caused my message to be dropped.  It is included in the body of the message.]

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 07:28:24PM +0100, Johan T?rnklint wrote:
> Any developer knows when support for my graphic card will come?  VIA Chrome
> 9 Is the graphic card.. operationsystems i have tested: linux kubuntu,ubuntu
> same problem, freezes when trying to load the gui installation. freebsd cant
> start if using driver openchome it just gets messed up/blurry.

OpenChrome has worked well for me on my 2133, but discovering the correct config
was non-trivial.  To get suspend working, I also had to make config changes
outside of xorg.conf.  I've attached my xorg.conf as well as an IRC log where I
discussed briefly what I had to do to get suspend working.

Note that the xorg.conf includes 'Option "XaaNoImageWriteRect" "True"', which
works around an X.org bug causing lock ups.  This bug may be resolved in newer
versions of X than the one I am running.  Here is the relevant ticket in
OpenChrome trac:

  http://www.openchrome.org/trac/ticket/258

Hope this helps.

13:29 < fbond> Hi, I'm using openChrome on an HP 2133.  Suspend/resume works fine once, but the second time I
               resume, I get an all white screen and the machine appears to be unresponsive.  Anything obvious come
               to mind?
13:43 -!- Thus0 [n=Thus0 at 221.190.98-84.rev.gaoland.net] has joined #unichrome
13:45 -!- Thus0 [n=Thus0 at 221.190.98-84.rev.gaoland.net] has quit [Client Quit]
13:56 -!- eichi [n=eichi at ip-80-226-0-1.vodafone-net.de] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
14:02 < fbond> Actually, I guess the white screen the second time I try to suspend, not resume.
14:25 < jnettlet> fbond: did you install openChrome yourself?
14:35 < fbond> fbond: I built the Ubuntu Intrepid package on my Hardy machine and installed it.  Seems to work.
14:35 < fbond> jnettlet: Sorry, meant to address that to you, not to me :)
14:36 < jnettlet> fbond: hmmm interesting.  I thought openchrome wasn't working on the HP 2133 yet
14:40 < fbond> jnettlet: Seems to be working pretty well :)
14:41 < jnettlet> fbond: that is good to hear.
14:41 < fbond> jnettlet: And I think I just solved my suspend issue...
14:41 < jnettlet> fbond: the white screen is usually related to the mtrr's not being mapped properly
14:42 < fbond> I did this:
14:42 < fbond> VBEModes true
14:42 < fbond> VBESaveRestore true
14:42 < fbond> in /etc/default/acpi-support:
14:42 < fbond> SAVE_VBE_STATE=false
14:42 < fbond> Dunno.  Seems like it worked.
14:42 < jnettlet> that should work also
14:43 < fbond> I think that just uses the BIOS for everything, right?
14:43 < jnettlet> I will add it to my notes so it can be added to the wiki
14:43 < jnettlet> yes, and doesn't try to redetect on resume, just uses the stored VBE settings

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond