[Openchrome-users] HP 2133 1.6 2GB/120 WLAN BT 3-CELL 8.9#VHB

Miguel Alvarez Blanco y Aurora Costales Castro miguelyoyi
Fri Dec 26 10:12:09 PST 2008

Hi, Jon.

Well, we are almost there. Now the mode reported is 1366x768 in
xvidtune, but the Virtual is 1368x768 (I seem to recall that X had a
thing for numbers modulo 8, so 1366 is the closest integer multiple of
8), although there is no panning (I am not sure if I would notice a 2
pixels panning anyway). However, the viewing area is still some 75%,
1026x598 approximately (maybe 1024x600, my method for measuring the
viewable area is not that precise). The HorizSync of the mode is 47.7,
in principle out of the specs of the panel, but there seems to be no
problem about it. I had noticed that the reported hsync range was quite
narrow, but I am not so keen with what happens in flat panels and
laptops as opposed to the good old CRTs.

Extra good and odd news: gnome's resolution changer reports now a larger
list of modes, although the one it takes as default (described above) is
called 1368x768, while the list as it is shown is: 1366x768 (?),
1360x768, 1280x768, 1280x720, 1152x768, 1024x768, 1024x600, 832x624,
800x600, 720x576, 640x480, and last of all 1368x768. Oddly enough, if
you select 1366x768 or 1368x768, xvidtune reports the same mode
(1366x768) although the Virtual size is different for them (by two
pixels), and the viewable area is more or less the same. In all the
modes, xvidtune reports the same resolution as the mode's name, but the
viewable area is some 75% of the resolution, always the top left 75% of
the Virtual size but filling the whole physical panel.

The only hints at something going wrong are the lines:

(EE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
(EE) CHROME(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.

and

(WW) CHROME(0): [XvMC] XvMC is not supported on this chipset.

Also, there was a probably unrelated kernel warning, that (Murphy's law)
appeared mostly in the 25% of the Virtual desktop and so I could not see
what exactly it was. Checking kern.log, is in drivers/ssb and seems
related to the wireless firmware, most likely innocuous for the
openchrome driver.

I am attaching the xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files again. Many thanks for
all your help.

Miguel