[Openchrome-users] Call for packagers

Andrey Melentyev rikz
Wed Feb 6 03:03:59 PST 2008

One of Gentoo developers (Steve Dibb) has plans for adding
xf86-video-openchrome driver to Gentoo portage. We already have a kind
of overlay which can be used for testing but it is not so
user-friendly as it can be.

But as for me I'm against adding openchrome driver in its current
state to Gentoo portage. While there is such serious bug like this:
http://www.openchrome.org/trac/ticket/145

As "EnableAGPDMA" is enabled by default on most of chips this bug will
appear on many machines. One of conditions is quiet new kernel version
just as Gentoo users have usually.

However I'm not a Gentoo developer but just an end-user, so my opinion
doesn't make a sense in adding openchrome driver to portage tree.

I really appreciate the work of openChrome developers, but as far as I
understand, in the current development stage the highest priority task
for them is to implement support for new chipsets, support for
libpciaccess and some XRANDR support. But there are some other
problems which I believe should be solved some day.

Best wishes,
Andrey