[Openchrome-users] Call for packagers

Benno Schulenberg bensberg
Wed Feb 6 05:22:07 PST 2008

Andrey Melentyev wrote:
> But as for me I'm against adding openchrome driver in its current
> state to Gentoo portage. While there is such serious bug like
> this: http://www.openchrome.org/trac/ticket/145
>
> As "EnableAGPDMA" is enabled by default on most of chips this bug
> will appear on many machines.

If EnableAGPDMA were switched off by default for chips that seem to
have problems with it, would that take away your objection (and
would probably make the Gentoo developer happier also)?

> I really appreciate the work of openChrome developers, but as far
> as I understand, in the current development stage the highest
> priority task for them is to implement support for new chipsets,
> support for libpciaccess and some XRANDR support. But there are
> some other problems which I believe should be solved some day.

Agreed.  But at the moment there are only three developers who can
really do development, who have the skills and the data sheets:
Gabriel, John, and Ivor.  And all three of them are doing other
things most of the time.  Also: when they don't own the hardware
that is affected by one of the major bugs, there is little they can
do.  Remote testing is exasperating and thus virtually impossible.

Benno