Re: [Openchrome-users] P4M900 VIA Chrome9™ DRI (and XvMC?) not working

J. Dale Gonzalez dale.gonzalez
Sat Feb 9 07:53:01 PST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 12:20 PM, J. Dale Gonzalez <dale.gonzalez at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Benno.  I had previously followed the instructions on this page
> but apparently didn't do something correctly.  Now, after trying to
> see if the 12/2007 version of the via drivers solved the problem, I
> suspect I've got my system so horked that nothing is really going to
> work.  So... next step is probably to reinstall Gutsy, install
> openchrome again, try DRM patch.  Maybe it will work the second time.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Feb 3, 2008 8:24 AM, Benno Schulenberg <bensberg at justemail.net> wrote:
> > J. Dale Gonzalez wrote:
> > > VIA integrated P4M900 graphics chip.  However, I've noticed that
> > > video playback is very CPU intensive and often stutters.  While
> > > investigating I determined that DRI isn't enabled.
> >
> > http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=P4M900
> >
> > Benno

> > Main page:
> > http://www.openchrome.org
> > Wiki:
> > http://wiki.openchrome.org
> > User Forum:
> > http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-view_forum.php?forumId=1

After a fresh install of Ubuntu, grabbing the latest openchrome trunk
and making the patches listed on the P4M900 openchrome wiki page, I've
got the openchrome driver, agpgart, drm, xvmc all working - which is
really cool.  I do get a message about the kernel being tainted - due
to something I did patching drm I'm sure.  glxinfo seg faults, I
suspect this is due to an already reported bug in mesa.  glxgears
won't work either.  All of the above is probably fine since I'm not
trying to do anything using 3D rendering.

However, the net result is in fact slower performance than the vesa
driver.  Scrolling firefox is jerky.  Moving windows around the screen
is jerky and the xorg process as reported by top will take as much as
100% CPU while a window is being moved.  Of course, watching tv is
impossible.  With the vesa driver, scrolling in firefox and moving
windows around the screen work smoothly.  HDTV playback is smooth
without sound and stutters with sound but the image is viewable.  With
openchrome, the image is typically corrupted beyond recognition.  Is
this expected or is it likely that I've messed something up?