[Openchrome-users] P4M900 VIA Chrome9™ DRI (and XvMC?) not working

Benno Schulenberg bensberg
Sat Feb 9 15:03:51 PST 2008

J. Dale Gonzalez wrote:
> After a fresh install of Ubuntu, grabbing the latest openchrome
> trunk and making the patches listed on the P4M900 openchrome wiki
> page, I've got the openchrome driver, agpgart, drm, xvmc all
> working - which is really cool.

Good.  It would be nice to see a gzipped Xorg.0.log.

XvMC shouldn't be working on your chip, though, according to
http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=HardwareCaveats

> glxinfo seg faults, I suspect this is due to an already
> reported bug in mesa.

Which reported bug do you have in mind?  Whether it was a reported
bug I don't know, it simply went away one day after an upgrade,
probably of Mesa.

> However, the net result is in fact slower performance than the
> vesa driver.  Scrolling firefox is jerky.  Moving windows around
> the screen is jerky and the xorg process as reported by top will
> take as much as 100% CPU while a window is being moved.  Of
> course, watching tv is impossible.  With the vesa driver,
> scrolling in firefox and moving windows around the screen work
> smoothly.  HDTV playback is smooth without sound and stutters
> with sound but the image is viewable.  With openchrome, the image
> is typically corrupted beyond recognition.  Is this expected or
> is it likely that I've messed something up?

Don't know.  Someone else with a P4M900 will have to answer that.

Benno