[Openchrome-users] Install design

Benno Schulenberg bensberg
Fri Feb 15 15:10:28 PST 2008

novak jan wrote:
>   I thank you very much for your answer. I hope, I can write you
> extra mailing list,

No.  Please send your mails to the list only.  If you send me
private mail again, I'll add you to my spam filter.

> how I think, that Install file, which
> everybody downloads in man directory of  trunk should look like.

It shouldn't be in the man/ subdir, but indeed adding an INSTALL
file is not a bad idea.  Thanks for the suggestion.

>   You downloaded  trunk version of openchrome driver. If you
>   want to install it, use this manual pages to install
>http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Compiling+the+source+code
>   Then check your installation using:
>      'modprobe -v via'

This will normally not work, as the distro-provided DRM kernel
modules will already be loaded.  So after custom compilation of the
DRM modules, a reboot is the simplest way to start using them.
Otherwise a 'rmmod via drm' and a 'modprobe -v via' are required.

>   and then
>     dmesg | grep -e agp -e drm
>   If you were successfull   you should have something like this:
>     xxxyyyyyy
>   Now adjust your xorg. conf
>   in Section "Modules" delete line Load"vbe" ( or some other)

Normally it should not be needed to remove anything from that
section.  Nor add anything to it.

>   in Section " Device" change your driver to "openchrome"

Thanks, this was added to the Compiling+the+source+code wiki page,
plus a link to a new page that contains your proposed verification
commands plus a few others:

http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Checking+whether+it+works

>  I think it is simple and every beginner knows, what to do with
> your driver.
>
>  I use Debian Lenny but many distributions use different kernels.
> For example Ubuntu, Fedora.  Very easy to download it and
> install. Also Debian has 2-3 kernels if you use experimental
> versions. Now Lenny or Sid.
>
>  If I wrote, that it is not normal module,  I thought that I can
> not use lsmod to check it

The presence of any kernel module can be checked with 'lsmod'.  The
via.ko and drm.ko are kernel modules.  But the openchrome driver is
not a kernel module, it is an Xorg module.

> and I can not install for every kernel extra. Is it so?

The via and drm modules you can install separately for every kernel
for which you have the source, and if under /lib/modules/ you have
the appropriate versioned directories.

(Please do not top-post.  Interleave your answers and questions in
the text you respond to.  Snip the irrelevant parts.)

Benno