[Openchrome-users] A small question

Luc Verhaegen libv
Thu Jan 3 18:39:50 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 08:49:08PM +0200, Vasileios Anagnostopoulos wrote:
> Via has published an IGP driver "UniChrome XORG 40072d display driver source
> code" on 13th of December. I have some questions
>
> 1. Is it open source?

Not really, there are binaries there.

> 2. Does it add any knowledge to openchrome?

Of course, it is the prime source of information for any actual free
software development, even though the code tends to be rather dense.
Well, for those bits for which code is provided that is.

> 3. Has been anybody in this list able to use it?

Hrm.

> In other words will it help improve the openchrome driver? What about the
> included dri  source?

DRI is one of aforementioned binaries.

VIA really is all about shooting itself in the foot all the time. Their
so called open source releases are real testimonies to this.

Luc Verhaegen.
SUSE/Novell X Driver Developer.